Icewine in Canada
Some of the world’s best Icewine is known to come from Canada, specifically Ontario. Production can be vigorous and can only happen in areas with below-freezing weather conditions. To produce Icewine, grapes are left on the vine until a sustained temperature of -8°C or below is reached, at which time they are hand picked. From there, they must be pressed before they thaw. The result is a juice that is high in sugar and acid, and concentrated with rich, delicious flavours.
Why is Ontario one of the World’s Leading Producers of Icewine?
To produce Icewine, summers must be hot and winters must be cold and sharp. Of all the wine-producing regions in the world, only Ontario has a winter climate sufficiently cold to ensure an Icewine crop in most years. Icewine is currently produced by 60 wineries in Ontario. Even Germany cannot produce an Icewine every vintage.
What is Icewine and How is it Made?
Icewine is a dessert wine renowned for its intense flavours, rich bouquet and unsurpassed smoothness. It is produced from grapes that have been left on the vine after the fall harvest. When temperatures dip to -8ºC (or lower) the frozen grapes are handpicked and pressed immediately to carefully release a thick, rich, yellow-gold liquid, highly concentrated in natural sugars and acidity.
VQA Requirements for Icewine
- Production must be monitored by a VQA-appointed agent who will stop the harvest once the temperature rises above -8°C.
- It must be produced as a varietal from approved grapes.
- The grapes must be naturally frozen on the vine and harvested and pressed in a continuous process while the air temperature remains at or below -8°C.
- 100 per cent of the grapes must be grown within a viticultural area, which must be indicated on the label.
- The average sugar level of the juice used must reach at least 35° Brix (Brix is the measurement of sugar in grapes) and both the alcohol and residual sugar in the finished wine must result exclusively from the natural sugar of the grapes.
Among all the wineries with vineyards in York Region, our icewine is the first winery to receive VQA Ontario certification. The winery utilizes excellent growing and soil conditions to produce truly outstanding quality wines.
Our products provide a beautiful backdrop for all family, corporate and group functions. The Testa pavilion, with its breathtaking views of the vineyard, is the perfect setting for all occasions. From simple picnic lunches in the vineyard to lavish weddings in the beautiful pavilion.
All our icewine products won Gold Medal.